Exploring Methods of Acoustemology
Spring 2020, Coursework
- Listened to two 30 minute audio clips of a traditional grammar lesson and a science sensemaking lesson in a 2nd grade classroom.
- Coded sounds from each space around categories of Discipline, Teacher Talk, Student Talk, and Discourses Outside of English:
- Transposed codes to piano notes, with discipline being in the lower register, teacher talk in the middle, and student talk in the upper register, with discourses being represented by guitar, tapping, and other sounds.
- Re-transposed codes using different sounds to investigate how different sounds changes how each space is heard.
Learning Sciences Graduate Student Conference (LSGSC)
September 20-22, 2019, Evanston, IL.
- Poster presented at LSGSC on Saturday, September 21, 2019
- Poster Presentation: Con vs. Contra: Reconsidering Collaboration and Context with Emergent Multilingual Families and Elementary Science Teachers
National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST)
Virtual (Scheduled for March 15-18, 2020, Portland, OR)
- Presentation: Interrupting Deficit perspectives with Elementary Teachers in a Latinx Community: Reflections from a Collaborative Ethnography
- Poster: Flipping the Script: Towards a Possibility-Centric Approach to Elementary Teacher Education in Science. By Carla Zembal-Saul, Heidi Carlone, and Michelle Brown